One of the best things about crock pots is that you do not have to worry about open flames. Cooking with a crock pot is so much safer than cooking on the stove, which is great news for kids who love to get into the thick of things when it comes to cooking.
With that said, here is a recipe your kids can make and the entire family can enjoy. This recipe is for larger families. If your family is smaller, you may want to halve the recipe before your kids make them. Always keep in mind that all cooking should be done with adult supervision only.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Crumble two pounds of ground beef into the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately after touching the raw meat.
One- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1/8 of a cup of brown sugar
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
- Put the lid on and turn the heat to “low”.
- Let simmer for four hours, remove the lid and stir. Place the lid back on and continue to cook for one more hour (for a total of 5 hours).
1 to 2 packages of hamburger or barbecue buns
- Place the buns on plates and put the meat mixture on between each slice.
- Add a pickle or two and a handful of potato chips beside the Sloppy Joes.
Getting your kids to assist with cooking meals helps them to take on responsibilities and teach them important life skills. Because of the simplicity of crock pot cooking it can be the perfect way for children to begin to learn how to cook.