Their passion for food has not gone unnoticed. The nominations are now out for the James Beard 2022 Restaurant and Chef Awards and Michigan is well represented.
These nominations are a chef’s dream as the James Beard Foundation is one of the country’s most respected organizations in the world of food.
A voting body will determine who among these semifinalists will move on to become finalists. They will be revealed on Wednesday, March 16, with winners being announced at a ceremony later this year on Monday, June 13 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
Here are all of the chefs and restaurants from Michigan who have been nominated:
- Outstanding Restaurateur – J.D. Simpson and Roger Yopp, Savannah Blue, Detroit
- Outstanding Chef – Ji Hye Kim, Miss Kim, Ann Arbor
- Best New Restaurant – BARDA, Detroit
- Outstanding Pastry Chef – Warda Bouguettaya, Warda Pâtisserie, Detroit
- Outstanding Hospitality – Phoenicia, Birmingham; Mudgie’s Deli and Wine Shop, Detroit
- Outstanding Wine Program Madam, Birmingham
- Outstanding Bar Program Shelby, Detroit
- Best Chef: Great Lakes Region (IL, IN, MI, OH) – Omar Anani, Saffron De Twah, Detroit; Anthony Lombardo, SheWolf, Detroit; Michael Ransom, ima, Detroit; James Rigato, Mabel Gray, Hazel Park; Ahmad Sanji, AlTayeb, Dearborn; Sarah Welch, Marrow, Detroit; Kate Williams, Karl’s, Detroit.